Thursday, July 1, 2010

Algorithmic Management

Algorithmic management!!! So this is what I’ve been doing all along. I’ve spent the last couple of years working on the problem of strategic alignment of services. We’re now looking at the problem of business modeling, and the problem of aligning enterprise architectures. A lot of this work touches on services science, and a lot on questions that have traditionally been in the domain of management (the academic discipline). I’ve always wondered where this sort of work places my research. It’s not traditional computer science or software engineering (although I borrow heavily from these disciplines). It’s not information systems in the traditional sense. It is certainly not management, although that’s the discipline that seems to have raised the questions and identified the research problems. I was telling some members of my group on the train from Brisbane airport into downtown Brisbane a couple of days back – we need a name for this new territory. And now I have it: Algorithmic Management! You heard it here first.

1 comment:

  1. I believe every algorithms around the world are trying to manage some thing. so, Algorithmic management !!! can be the two words with kind of same meaning(if I ve understood you correctly). I ve heard about a term "Management Engineering", How about this?

    Faraz Ramtin,

    ReplyDelete